The Weekly Ritual
Author: Margot Rutigliano
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be a challenge. For some, it’s simple but for others it can be a task. If you’re someone who is busy with life, kids, career, relationships and the various other things that can get in the way, you know that sometimes we’re thrown a curve ball. I’ll be honest. I’m someone who has to be prepared or my week spins out of control – FAST. I always tell my coaching clients and retreat clients that being prepared is half the battle. I developed my own weekly ritual to help me conquer food, fitness and fun.
How To Do The Weekly Ritual
You’ve probably done or at least heard of Sunday Meal Prep before. This practice of making food for the week has been done a million times over by many people. Well, guess what? Sunday doesn’t work for me! And just prepping food doesn’t work for me. I needed more than that. I need to prep my food and schedule in my workouts and other healthy actives just like I do meetings. You might simply need a meal plan to follow and a grocery shopping list to get set. Off you go to the store with your list. You prep and you’re done for the week. My point is that everyone is different so don’t box yourself in with the “sunday meal prep” if that’s not what works for you. Here are some other options:
- You might need to do one prep day a week but maybe not on Sunday. Maybe your prep day is Monday.
- An every two or three day prep day might work better.
- You might be someone who excels when you just prepare your lunch and snacks to take with you for the day in the mornings.
- Scheduling in your fitness along with preparing your food might be something you need to do or at least think about.
- Maybe all you need to do is cut fresh veggies and “grab on the go” foods available for the week that are healthy.
“Your” Weekly Ritual
“Your” weekly ritual or planing day/days might look vastly different than other people you know. It’s important to figure out what works for you and your schedule. Here are a few steps to determining what you need.
- Which meals will you plan in advance? Will you plan all meals, just dinners, snacks, grab and go foods? All of the above?
- Figure out what’s going to work best. Do you need to prep food one day for the entire week or prepare two – three days per week for a few days at a time? Does morning prep work best for you on a daily basis? How many times per week will you visit the grocery? This way you know how much food to purchase at one time.
- Figure out what you’re going to make ahead (how many meals/snacks and recipes). Make your grocery shopping list.
- Get to preparing that food (cutting, chopping, cooking, assembling)! Label containers if need be.
- Food is done so now it’s time to schedule in your fitness if need be.
- Last, schedule in stress reduction (quiet time, light meditations, spa treatments, yoga, etc). We take a whole body approach so don’t forget ALL aspects of health and fitness.